Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1942 Letter from Frank Howard to IPTAY regarding BC game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

1942 Letter from Frank Howard to IPTAY regarding BC game

Feb 1, 2019, 9:01 AM

Howard was quite a writer - he could have been a reporter

https://www.bcinterruption.com/2019/1/31/18205268/1942-football-clemson-at-bc

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1942 Letter from Frank Howard to IPTAY regarding BC game

Feb 1, 2019, 9:11 AM

"I feel sure we will be in good shape for our annual State Fair game..."

Old Frank was correct - we did beat USuC the next week 18 to 6...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2019, 10:53 AM

Sweet
Howard really wrote a nice letter

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2019, 10:57 AM

As I recall, old Frank was an English major at Alabama. You would never know it by the way he talked at times but he was a unique and wonderful gentleman. I’m sorry that so many of you younger fans never had the chance to meet and listen to Coach Howard. He often talked to the students during the season and it was a hoot to be around him. There was always a speech at the amphitheater early in the year when the coach would introduce and interview some of the players. It was comparable to some of the comedy skits you see on tv today.

The Boston College game referred to In this letter to IPTAY members came just after the Tigers had beaten BC in the very first Bowl Game for the Tigers in January of 1940. Just for the record, the Tigers have played to Catholic Schools in the Cotton Bowl and have never allowed a touchdown!

My very favorite Howard story happened when the coach was nominated by an athletic staff member to be promoted to head coach and Howard wisely replied “I second the nomination”!

Clemson actually began to obtain prominence in college football shortly after this and it continued well into the fifties.
It was a different sport in those days.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2019, 10:58 AM

2 not to

Feb 1, 2019, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Re: 1942 Letter from Frank Howard to IPTAY regarding BC game ]

I played for coach Howard in the mid '60's. Back then every player went both ways. Coach Howard had his first team, and he would call out to everyone else as "the others". Being an Other, many of us painted the letter "O" on the front of our helmets.
My senior year is when they installed the rock. Back then we dressed in the old field house up the street, and walked down the street to the stadium. We ran down the hill because that was the only way we could enter the stadium.
I have so many fond memories of Coach Howard

We passed the ball in 1942?

Feb 1, 2019, 11:16 AM

Hard to imagine.

null

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic