Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
16 team playoff idea
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

16 team playoff idea

Dec 19, 2017, 2:48 PM

I would just do away with conference championship games. Take division winners from all 5 power conferences, BIG 12 would only have one unless they expand. Guarantee any division winner from non power conferences ranked in the top 20 a spot, then fill with at large bids. Give the top 8 seeds to the top 8 division winners and have that game on campus to help cut down travel. The last 3 rounds would be neutral site games, which would be not that much different than what we have today when you consider travel for conference championship games and playoff. This years bracket would have looked something like this

1 Clemson vs 20 Memphis
2 Auburn vs 15 Notre Dame
3 Oklahoma vs 14 Central Florida
4 Wisconsin vs 13 Washington
6 Georgia vs 12 Stanford
7 Miami vs 11 TCU
8 Ohio State vs 9 Penn St.
*10 Southern Cal vs 4 Alabama

*Southern Cal would get a home game due to being 8th highest ranked division winner, Alabama would drop to the 9 seed due to not winning their division.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 16 team playoff idea

Dec 19, 2017, 2:53 PM

It's a lot of fun to think about as a fan, but I highly doubt we'll ever see it reach 16 teams. I could see 6 or 8 in the future perhaps, but I don't see how 16 is possible. You'd have to reduce the number of regular season games down to 10 or 11 IMO. Once you reduce the schedule by 1 or 2 games, you'd either be asking most teams(including those not in the playoff race) to give up a home game each season, or you'd see big time OOC games go away since teams wouldn't want to go on the road to play an OOC game which would require them to give up a home game.

Dec 19, 2017, 2:58 PM

I don't think college football has ever had more exciting seasons. From the time CFP ratings were announced go back and see how many schools had a chance. If fans are upset that #5 didn't get in, someone will be upset #17 didn't get in.
16 will NEVER happen

Dec 19, 2017, 3:01 PM

You're right. Basketball is up to 68 teams now, each team has a chance to win their conference tournament to get an auto bid, and there's still always a huge fuss over a few teams getting left out.

Dec 19, 2017, 3:34 PM

Just remember, the Rose Bowl would never agree to anything where it is not a big game played on January 1st. And it would require the years that it doesn't host the semis or finals for quality Big 10/Pac 12 Matchup. At least at this stage. This is above and beyond would the other conferences would like.

16 teams ? That puts in about 10 teams that have no business

Dec 19, 2017, 3:45 PM

in the Playoff. The Playoff is fine where it's at. No need to water it down by teams that have no business there.

No no no

Dec 19, 2017, 3:45 PM

It does make sense to abolish conferences though for football only. Most years there are 3 teams that deserve to make the playoff. I don't understand why expanding it helps the situation. If anything the playoff should be reduced to 3 teams with the number 1 seed getting a bye to the championship game.

Re: No no no

Dec 19, 2017, 7:47 PM

Keep Conferences but do away with divisions...top 2 teams in conference play for conference championship. Only top 4 ranked conference champions get in playoffs.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic