Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
“130K – 210K AVOIDABLE U.S. COVID-19 DEATHS – AND COUNTING"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

“130K – 210K AVOIDABLE U.S. COVID-19 DEATHS – AND COUNTING"

Oct 22, 2020, 11:51 AM

This new study from Columbia University was released yesterday. Needless to say, it is not good news for Trump or America.

https://ncdp.columbia.edu/custom-content/uploads/2020/10/Avoidable-COVID-19-Deaths-US-NCDP.pdf

By contrasting the U.S. proportional mortality rate with that of six other high-income countries,
this report highlights the stark reality that is the United States’ continued mismanagement of the
pandemic response. Particularly, it is the inability or unwillingness of U.S. officials to adapt or
improve the federal response over the course of the pandemic that has strongly contributed to
the nation’s uniquely high Covid-19 fatality rate.23 The U.S. should have – and could have – done
better to protect the nation, and particularly its most vulnerable populations, from a threat that was
identified and recognized early in 2020.

The failure of the federal government to (a) create a rigorous national strategy for testing and
contact tracing, (b) coordinate data collection and coordination among U.S. states, or (c) recognize
the scientific validity of non-pharmaceutical interventions like face coverings and social distancing
reflect a deeply inadequate national response when contrasted to other high-income countries. Our
comparative analysis estimates that somewhere between 130,000 and 210,000 American deaths to
date could have been avoided.

The weight of this enormous failure ultimately falls to the leadership at the White House – and
among a number of state governments – which consistently undercut the efforts of top officials
at the CDC and HHS. Further, there is little evidence to suggest that science-based policies will
prevail going forward with Donald Trump as President given his continued attacks on science
and government scientists. A pandemic is not a time for a decentralized and combative national
response. It requires strong leadership and coordination across states towards a common purpose
of defeating the threat with the might of the whole nation. The cases of South Korea, Japan,
Australia, Canada, Germany, and France demonstrate that the scope of the crisis and suffering did
not need to reach the levels seen in the U.S.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have an aging population

Oct 22, 2020, 11:54 AM

along with the fact that Americans are fat, diabetic, out of shape and are walking time bombs for death.

This just accelerated it a bit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We have an aging population

Oct 22, 2020, 2:30 PM

They forget what Biden said about Trump shutting down the boarder and flights from China. They might have the China virus.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2020, 4:57 PM [ in reply to We have an aging population ]

Yes death is the best diet.

Oct 22, 2020, 7:01 PM [ in reply to We have an aging population ]

along with the fact that Americans are fat, diabetic, out of shape and are walking time bombs for death.

This just accelerated it a bit.

No, the spread of Covid was absolutely preventable.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2020, 7:04 PM

Re: “130K – 210K AVOIDABLE U.S. COVID-19 DEATHS – AND COUNTING"

Oct 22, 2020, 11:55 AM

china should pay a price, big league

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Imagine how MUCH WORSE it would be under Biden***

Oct 22, 2020, 11:55 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Imagine how MUCH WORSE it would be under Biden***

Oct 22, 2020, 12:01 PM

locked in your home, china style

begging the gubmint for food

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Imagine how MUCH WORSE it would be under Biden***

Oct 22, 2020, 12:04 PM

By the time they started taking action it would have been too late. They were too busy trying to be politically correct and then they would have locked the place down like NY did and it would have been a catastrophe.

If there is a God he was looking out for America when he allowed Trump to win.

but you can vote for the party

Oct 22, 2020, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Imagine how MUCH WORSE it would be under Biden*** ]

That promices more gubment food!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In other news, Columbia university

Oct 22, 2020, 11:56 AM

Recognized as the most liberal school... ever

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If only we had followed Europe and the world

Oct 22, 2020, 12:00 PM

Oh wait ... nevermind

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lutz. Glad we're at the blame portion...

Oct 22, 2020, 12:03 PM

Failures all around.

Pelosi parading around Chinatown telling people it's safe. DeBlasio telling New Yorkers to go about their lives. Cuomo calling Florida's travel ban on New Yorkers illegal and threatening to sue. Biden calling Trumps China travel ban xenophobic. NYC forcing nursing homes to take COVID positive people. Not allowing contacting tracers to ask if positives were part of a protest.

But, yes let's just blame Trump.

Looking for the government to save you is your first problem. The whole fawking government failed us.

And let's not blame the individuals themselves. Idiots who refuse to wear masks. Idiots who send their positive family members to work/school. A population who, as a whole, is in pathetic physical condition. Instead of fixing and addressing problems, we just takes pills. Well COVID gives zero fawks about that.

But it's easier to blame Trump, right?

They. Went from telling it was ok

Oct 22, 2020, 12:07 PM

to a full on power grab and they are still snatching up Jews for going to the Synagogue. These leaders are drunk on power.

Might enjoy looking at this.

Oct 22, 2020, 12:40 PM

And wondering why no one talks about it. And why the Columbia article referred to not one randomized tested cause-effect data point.

Masks. There is not one randomized test showing that masks reduce infection rate. There are many prior to this year showing negligible effect in spread of seasonal flu. The official position of the cdc regarding masks, up through the beginning of covid, was "don't wear them". Same with Fauci, who never met a comment he couldn't reverse. Do masks work? Who knows? I do wear one. But what no can say - but these hacks pretended that they could - is what effect wearing/not wearing has had on infections. Ask them for a number of the infections they are blaming on Trump re masks. They will not, cannot, tell you one.

Anyway, there is this (graph is halfway down the page):

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Absolutely no rebuttal from the wannabe Felix2 copy/pasta

Oct 22, 2020, 1:03 PM

Chuckston T-Man

Is all over google trying to find a random test showing

Oct 22, 2020, 1:27 PM

how many more covid infections non mask wearers get. I can save him the time: there's not one.

Here is an article addressing that fact, and the best they can come up with is, "Well, you wash your hands, don't you?" Which is fine, and I agree with that much logic. But to go from there to blaming a president on a virus, and pass it off as a "study", is worse than dishonestly. We are watching the death of science.

We must be doing something right

Oct 22, 2020, 1:04 PM

I don't buy it

Oct 22, 2020, 1:07 PM

When you compare the rate of hypertension, diabetes, and other complications that the U.S. is well known for compared to the other countries listed in the article, it's apples to oranges. No way you can extrapolate a number of "avoidable" deaths when comparing to these countries.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

If there's no effective vaccine, we're on the best path.

Oct 22, 2020, 4:55 PM

Which is why I can't stand Trump saying it's fine, and then saying a vaccine is coming out this month. It won't. Next year, and even then it probably won't work well or at all. Trump knows. Europe has also signaled the loss of hope in a vaccine. It's the freaking common cold. If there was a potential vaccine, it would have been developed and no one would get colds now. We all would hunker down for 5-6 months, wait for the vaccine, get it, and carry on.

If an effective vaccine comes along in the next 4 months, then we screwed the pooch royally. But I think we're going on the assumption that there will be no vaccine, and as such, we just have to keep hospitals from being swamped and slowly take our 1-2 million deaths over several years. With no vaccine, that's what this virus holds in store. Or unless there's a super-effective treatment developed. We've improved treatment, but we've also trended younger. Old people are still quarantining themselves. That won't last.

I honestly feel bad for Europe, because by holding out so long, the people have paid so much and are so fed up, cases there will be far worse than in the US. They have more ammo for the virus too, precisely because they stopped it so effectively for so long.

We may be handling this the best of any country really, assuming there is no vaccine. Hospitals have largely kept up (mostly), and deaths have trended down. The approach of ignoring it though irks me still, but that's just the way Trump is. You have a virus, you have people, and without something to stop that, the deaths are there and have been all along. With no vaccine, they are going to happen. The original models calling for 2 million deaths if we do nothing, well, they're accurate. But we have done something, we're human. But that doesn't keep them from happening eventually. That's just the ammo the virus has. You can shoot off the ammo one shot at a time for a year or two, or light the entire ammo dump on fire and watch a big bang. Same ammount of ammo explodes either way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We can't spend another year, or another 10 years with this

Oct 22, 2020, 5:05 PM

partial shutdown stuff, staying home, wearing masks, being afraid to live.

At some point, its "what's the point of all this?", and like I said in February: you either don't get it, get it and have with minimal/no complications, or you get it and die.

Personally, I'm not wasting another year of my life worrying about getting sick.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not staying home any more than normal now.

Oct 22, 2020, 5:46 PM

Aside from not eating inside restaurants or drinking in bars (2-3 times a year for each tops anyway), I'm pretty much doing everything normally. I can't do my freaking job (at times) though because of government's continued overreaction, but I drove 500 miles this week. Aiken, Pickens, Anderson. Aiken last week, and Florence. Heck, traffic is as bad as ever, most people are out and about too. Just take a few minimal measures to help other people, and carry on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not staying home any more than normal now.

Oct 22, 2020, 7:57 PM

We are where we are. There’s lots of blame to go around and it’s not all on Trump. Going forward until there hopefully is an effective vaccine, we have to work and live life as fully as possible while using some common sense to protect our neighbors and ourselves. A lockdown will only pause the virus and is more harmful than the virus will be. At this point, testing is readily available as is PPE for the most part. The only viable weapon in the quiver is more lockdowns which should not be done again in my opinion. The mortality rate of Covid is down significantly. We have to live with this much as parts of the world carry on despite the ravages of TB and malaria. If we kill our economy with further lockdowns, many more will die and live horrible lives.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic