Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cincy is not a Top 4 team- period!! probably not Top 15.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Cincy is not a Top 4 team- period!! probably not Top 15.

Dec 17, 2020, 12:48 PM

Screams to go back to the BCS are ludicrous and quite frankly benefit no one but the SEC. The computer code is built by humans and pre-weights the SEC teams just like the bias of the humans. The computers do it by loading empirical data that favors those teams and then they play each other only to strengthen them in the computer polls. How soon we forget we had Bama-LSU one year in the finals!!! We would have 3 SEC teams in the final four. Clemson would get penalized for pre-conceived schedule bias. Absolutely no way should it go back to the old BCS where it's strictly computers(built by humans). The media will be pushing to go back to BCS and fuel those flames as they'd get what they want... loaded with SEC teams every year

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cincy is not a Top 4 team- period!! probably not Top 15.

Dec 17, 2020, 12:54 PM

And that is why I want the playoffs to stay at 4 teams. I've heard there is a power 5 so one gets left out- its unfair. No its about excellence not about quotas. Plus an expansion gives an excuse to overload it with SEC teams. Does anyone really think 2 loss Fla deserves in?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100% correct

Dec 17, 2020, 12:56 PM

I think the 4 best have gotten in every year. We have had a true and legit champion every year. The system works and there's no reason to change it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: 100% correct

Dec 17, 2020, 5:15 PM

GWPTiger® said:

I think the 4 best have gotten in every year. We have had a true and legit champion every year. The system works and there's no reason to change it.

Call me crazy, but I'd love to see an underdog get a chance at knocking off the big boys.

Not too long ago we were basically an okay/underdog program with a Championship that people knocked because of probation.

Sometimes a 6-seed wins a Super Bowl (Giants vs Pats) or 16 seed takes down a #1, so although I agree it's better to have the better teams in each year, you can't argue the matchups of a expanded playoff WOULDNT be better than what we have now.

The committee just signaled the regular season isn't as held in regard with Florida dropping to 6 - any other era and Florida MAY be in the top 15 or top 20 after a loss like to LSU.

I'll be cheering once that playoff gets expanded ??????

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Cincy is not a Top 4 team- period!! probably not Top 15. ]

I would take 2 loss Florida over 5 win OSU any day

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But if anOSU gets into the playoff and we can get them in

Dec 17, 2020, 1:09 PM

the semi-final it would be an easy path to the natty for us. The fighting nutnecklaces are really bad and we would equal the 31-0 game by halftime.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I’d give them top 10

Dec 17, 2020, 12:57 PM

They are like the UCF teams who’ve never faced a playoff caliber team before.

They think they want it until they get embarrassed 42-10 in the Semis. Power 5 schools get blown out in the Semis. These guys don’t understand the level of play.

Does Florida deserve consideration? Heck no. Bama is about to remove all doubt

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 1:07 PM

I agree on Cincy not being one of the top 4 teams. I'm not so sure about the SEC rant though. Is there some bias in assuming that some of the traditional powers in the SEC are going to be good going into a season? Yeah, there certainly is. That's the same type of bias that teams like Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and ND enjoy as well though. Other teams such as FSU, Michigan, USC, Texas can be quick to be given that same treatment with any sort of sign of consistent winning. My point is that it isn't just an SEC thing IMO.

I certainly don't think that AP voters from other areas of the country outside of the southeast are sitting around thinking of ways to get as many SEC teams ranked as high as possible. I also don't think that the people who create the computers used for the BCS polls are doing that either. Although I will say that those computers have a ton of issues which would make me never want to see computer rankings determine anything ever again.

Dec 17, 2020, 1:11 PM

Cincy is actually benefiting from some bias in their favor. The AAC is considered better than the Sunbelt, so they are 3 spots ahead of Coastal even though Coastal has the better Strength of Record and Strength of Schedule.

And the Sunbelt does very well against P5 teams, destroying the Big 12 this year including top 10 Iowa State. Plus App State just beat the Holes and the Coots last year.

Based on the metrics, Coastal should be ahead of Cincy yet they are not.

Dec 17, 2020, 1:15 PM

I'll also add that even though I disagree with Cincy being one of the best 4 teams in the country, and I disagree with bringing back the BCS, that I can't blame the AAC commish for speaking out. He would be doing his job poorly IMO if he didn't speak up for the teams in his conference.

He did make some great points including Cincy being moved down for missing games while Ohio State didn't. Iowa State's ranking probably the worst ranking of any team in the current poll IMO. I'm not surprised that the committee would rank non-P5 teams behind unbeaten P5 teams or even 1 loss P5 teams. I am surprised though that they wouldn't at least move Cincy ahead of the 2 loss teams which are Georgia, Florida, and Iowa State. That way Cincy would still most likely miss the CFP, but they'd get a lot less hate for the rankings. They'd probably end up finishing 5th or 6th in that case so they'd be able to argue that Cincy just barely missed it.

Dec 17, 2020, 1:30 PM

I disagree with the AAC's BCS comment but he is spot on about three/four of the five power conference blocking the group of 5 from playoff access.

The SEC and B10 are leading the no-outside conference charge. Imagine if Ohio State had to acknowledge... or play an instate rival.

Really, only the ACC has been scheduling the AAC etc (often to the detriment of the ACC). B12 at least gives some other a chance to knock off their champs (hurting them now).

This year of all years, if Cincy is sitting at 9-0 with 2 wins against top 25 teams and Ohio State is 6-0 with two top 25 wins (against NW and Indiana) then I think Cincy should be picked first. It isn't that Ohio State plated a tougher schedule or even more of one.

So what is the CFP basing their decision upon? the 5/6 game and a preseason opinion of OSUI or gameplay.

Dec 17, 2020, 4:37 PM

They've defeated 2x as many ranked teams as Clemson. They should be #4, not OSU.

Dec 17, 2020, 4:53 PM

Bama2020 said:

They've defeated 2x as many ranked teams as Clemson. They should be #4, not OSU.

Who?

Computers, Nah! Cincy top 4, Nah!

Dec 17, 2020, 5:05 PM

Computers are going to calculate offensive and defensive numbers of the team and of that teams opponents - combine it with where the human AP pollsters have that team ranked and come out with a number!

Problem is - that bit where they throw in the polls from sports writers!

Perception is reality - when you look at recruiting rankings they do indicate SEC teams should be good. Or at least the upper tier "should be good"! Georgia, Bama, LSWho, A & M and Florida. Tennessee sometimes has good classes; but much like Georgia what have they done with them? Anything that looks like they will be good gets over-blown and over-hyped! They beat Florida Atlantic or Jacksonville St then Samford or Austin Peay and go 2-0 - b/c they are in a perceived tough conference a Kentucky gets ranked or a Miss St or Ole Miss. They then get into conference and play that over-hyped over ranked team and "it's a quality loss"! Without the aid of all these "quality losses" other conferences teams will not fair well using computers that input the polls into the equation.

Recruiting class success - if there were a crown for that - would often be in the SEC or Ohio State. Florida State use to get in there and Clemson has stuck it's nose in and had success! None of it matters if you don't bring all that talent together to form a good football team.
I.M.O some conferences absolutely do get credit top to bottom for the success in recruiting and historical success from the top tier of their conference. No question!
As a Clemson fan we are in a good spot now; but think about when we were on the outside looking in. When they tried to do that same garbage to us! Beating FSU - which was in the club helped us out a ton! We got it together at a great time before they imploded. Otherwise it would likely be said, "ACC wins are only 1/2 wins and we should dismiss them as serious contenders"! I understand the AAC commissioners angle! Disagree with the computers taking over 100%.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic