Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
10 living former Defense Secretaries deliver op-ed in WaPo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 818

10 living former Defense Secretaries deliver op-ed in WaPo

Jan 4, 2021, 6:51 AM

All 10 living former Defense Secretaries have delivered an extraordinary warning to President Trump in an op-ed denouncing the possibility of the military becoming involved in the current election dispute. The piece was published in The Washington Post on Monday, following calls from some Trump supporters to invoke martial law in a bid to block Joe Biden from becoming the next Commander-in-chief.

"Our elections have occurred. Recounts and audits have been conducted. Appropriate challenges have been addressed by the courts. Governors have certified the results. And the Electoral College has voted. The time for questioning the results has passed. Efforts to involve the U.S. armed forces in resolving election disputes would take us into dangerous, unlawful and unconstitutional territory"

The 10 living former Defense Secretaries listed as authors of the piece are Ashton Carter, #### Cheney, William Cohen, Mark Esper, Robert Gates, Chuck Hagel, James Mattis, Leon Panetta, William Perry and Donald Rumsfeld.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9110117/All-10-living-former-Defense-Secretaries-deliver-extraordinary-warning-Trump-scathing-op-ed.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Unless the military is actually involved

Jan 4, 2021, 7:03 AM

I can’t wait for 1/20

If the military is involved that’s downright scary

This nonsense has gone on too long

Can we get back to 9/11 being an inside job, flat earth, sandy hook crisis actors and storming Area 51?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can we get back to flat earth, sandy hook and Area 51...?

Jan 4, 2021, 12:05 PM

Don't be SO NAIVE...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 10 living former Defense Secretaries deliver op-ed in WaPo

Jan 4, 2021, 9:55 AM

I've never voted for a Democrat for President. However, the fact that these former Sec of Defense feel the need to even address the potential issue of martial law makes me greatly regret voting for Trump. I wish I had voted 3rd party as I did in 2016.

I always thought those accusing Trump of being a wannabe dictator were guilty of hyperbole. I was wrong. It is absolutely despicable that the idea of Trump declaring martial law has even been entertained in the White House.

Trump is deluded to think that the military would obey such an order.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet they all voted mailin ballots for Trump.***

Jan 4, 2021, 9:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like they've accepted the loss then.***

Jan 4, 2021, 10:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Sounds like they've accepted the loss then.***

Jan 4, 2021, 12:13 PM

Sir, I believe ClemsonTiger1988 is engaging in sarcasm. If I am not mistaken, he is suggesting (contrary to his actual statement) that the 10 former defense secretaries had not voted for Trump. He may be implying that those individuals have an anti-Trump bias.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And to reiterate...

Jan 4, 2021, 10:11 AM

Anyone who disagrees with them on this simply doesn't support our nation's democracy.

Anyone calling for military involvement certainly needs a repeat of a civics class.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Jan 4, 2021, 10:51 AM

I wasn’t going to read it, but William “the refrigerator” Perry has input. Awesome.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh shut up... Chester McGlockton is dead and unavailable for

Jan 4, 2021, 11:15 AM

comment. You should know that. ;)

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

I think I brought this up a few weeks ago.

Jan 4, 2021, 11:38 AM

I mean not the 10 Sec of Defense writing a letter, but Trump involving the military in the election, and everyone wrote it off as crazy talk.

The real crisis will be if the military doesn't listen to Trump if he tries to involves them. Trump can be discounted and removed; but who would control the military. And worse, what if not all branches agree?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think I brought this up a few weeks ago.

Jan 4, 2021, 12:00 PM

I think there are plenty of military people who support Trump and his positions.

However, I am fully confident that they take their oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic very seriously and that they would never enforce martial law to overturn the results of a democratic election.

It DOES concern me to wonder how many of the 75 million Americans who voted for him WOULD support such martial law.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lets say they don't listen to Trump.

Jan 4, 2021, 12:02 PM

Then who is in charge of the military?

Jan 4, 2021, 12:09 PM

Part of the fear of the use of the military also comes from Trump invoking the Insurrection Act which would allow a President to call out the military to put down a riot, insurrection, etc.

Trump has encouraged some of his followers to come to Washington to protest on Jan. 6, some fear that there will be violence and Trump would invoke the Act to deploy the military. Once done, there is no limit to how long they can be deployed.

I don't think the military would obey an order like that.

Replies: 13
| visibility 818
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic