Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pre-game silent out--grass roots movement
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 75
| visibility 1

Pre-game silent out--grass roots movement

Nov 2, 2009, 10:35 AM

1) Get the word out to friends and netsites--tailgate parties
2) Callers get the word out to radio stations--WCCP tailgate show let people know
3) Central Spirit--coordinate signs/flyers to remind fans about it as enter stadium
4) Band briefed and understand their role
5) DV PA system operators briefed and understand their goal
6) Admin "all in" on this--promote this
7) Student led movement keeps a lid on the noise until the cannon fires and the Tigers run down the hill!
8)??????

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wha?***

Nov 2, 2009, 10:36 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who's gonna call each WCCP show?***

Nov 2, 2009, 10:36 AM

Delvin***

Nov 2, 2009, 1:11 PM

Re: Delvin***

Nov 2, 2009, 1:43 PM

hes a coot fan. explains his lack of a job

Re: Pre-game silent out--grass roots movement

Nov 2, 2009, 10:37 AM

only change is to heck with waiting on the cannon...as soon as they come through the gates

We need to stand cheer and greet our team

agree

Nov 2, 2009, 10:39 AM

It would be weird to see all the players jumping around on top of the hill in silence.

You gotta figure the team would know...

Nov 2, 2009, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Pre-game silent out--grass roots movement ]

IIRC in talking to the guys after the ND game, they said it was the strangest thing, standing at the top of the hill, seeing the stands packed and hearing .... nothing.

Then the roar. It was an insane moment. I'd love for the young folks today to experience it.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would be great. Everyone would be like, say what?

Nov 2, 2009, 10:42 AM

FSU fans would be confused as would the announcers.

8) On the cannon ... unleash Hell!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thats about

as stupid as this:

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I posted it on the Orange out for FSU group page

See if anyone goes along with it. If so I'll start a Facebook group.

It would only work if organizations pick it up today

Nov 2, 2009, 10:46 AM

and promote it.

for example central spirit.

The athletic department and the president and AD would all have to get involved, emails to all students and possibly email to iptay members and so forth.

Re: It would only work if organizations pick it up today

Nov 2, 2009, 10:48 AM

Well who on here is still in school and is in charge of getting this out

Heck, get Tim Bourrett involved...

Nov 2, 2009, 10:52 AM

He's a BB Head grad. I think he was even here for that game.

Let's be realistic...

Nov 2, 2009, 10:47 AM

I think it's a great idea, but if someone with organizational skills doesn't get a hold of this, it wont work.

As the band goes through their routine, let it be business as usual. Once they get into position for the run down, have the band pause. HAve field leaders stationed around the perimeter of the fiels hold signs "SH". give it a moment to take effect. then blast the cannon and fire up the band.

The impact would be much more impressive this way...

Re: Let's be realistic...

Nov 2, 2009, 10:49 AM

That would be infreakingcredible.

Need a person in school to take point--leadership role***

Nov 2, 2009, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Let's be realistic... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

im a student

Nov 2, 2009, 10:50 AM

I don't know anyone in central spirit though

You've got connections though--get the word out--someone

Nov 2, 2009, 10:51 AM

from CC was on here the other night

The person from Central Spirit : irish15c

Nov 2, 2009, 12:26 PM

irish15c
Member [12 pts]

Re: Central Spirit--what you got cooking? *** [3]
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 2:14 PM Report Abuse Rate: Reply

We are going to do a lot of balloons and we're trying to do an "ORANGE OUT" for Solid Orange day in the Student Section. Please encourage people to wear orange to the game!

In 77, the PA announcer reminded folks...

Nov 2, 2009, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Let's be realistic... ]

...every 15 minutes or so as fans filtered in.

"Remember folks," he said...."We're being nice and quiet for Notre Dame. Shhhhhh!"

That was awesome!! What a crowd at that game!! WOW!***

Nov 2, 2009, 12:07 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dan Devine had written a letter to the ACC demanding that

Nov 2, 2009, 12:27 PM [ in reply to In 77, the PA announcer reminded folks... ]

the crowd noise rule be enforced (back then the home team could be penalized for too much crowd noise). So saying "Remember, we're being quiet for Notre Dame" would have been pretty darn funny.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2009, 11:00 AM

I think this would be INCREDIBLE ... was not here for he ND game back in the day.

If we can pull this off - it shows discipline - & we would absolutely drown out FSU fans - who will be there. I am all in on this.

President of Central Spirit email address

Nov 2, 2009, 11:03 AM

pmancus@clemson.edu

Email about how it was done in November of 1977, 32 years later its time for FSU to get the silent treatment

everyone send one***

Nov 2, 2009, 11:06 AM

In years past - It was called The Silent Treatment.

Nov 2, 2009, 11:10 AM

It was attempted in 77 for the ND football game and at several basketball games.

It's an eery feeling before the cheering.

Band in 77 didn't even play the National Anthem or played it very quietly.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Very 1st silent treatment (I'm pretty sure) was

Nov 2, 2009, 11:47 AM

the basketball game against Maryland and Lefty Driesell during the '75/76 season.....issues of The Tiger were left on every seat, and the entire crowd pretended to be reading the paper...TOTAL SILENCE while both teams ran on the court (the band played but nobody clapped) and warmed up---weird hearing sneakers squeak and basketballs being dribbled, also while Marylands players were being introduced,......and then.....when the Tigers first player was introduced the loudest cacophany ever heard in Littlejohn up to that moment.

It DEFINITELY got UMd's attention....I can only imagine what that would sound like in the Valley

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This must be done.***

Nov 2, 2009, 11:51 AM

Re: Very 1st silent treatment (I'm pretty sure) was

Nov 2, 2009, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Very 1st silent treatment (I'm pretty sure) was ]

I got excited just reading that

Yep, and within a few weeks , Chapel Hill had passed a new

Nov 2, 2009, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Very 1st silent treatment (I'm pretty sure) was ]

rule that you had to alternate the announcing of the players for each team. No joke!!

That would be sooooo awesome! I hope we can get it to work.***

Nov 2, 2009, 12:02 PM

At the Silent Treatment for the '77 Notre Dame game, the

Nov 2, 2009, 12:17 PM

band did not play before the game. They marched and pretended to play. The Fans stood and pretended to clap (just waving their hands close to each other). When the team gathered at the top of The Hill - still no noise.

Then The Cannon fired and all heck broke loose.

Yes, it was awesome.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What about the pledge, national anthem, prayer, and CU alma?***

Nov 2, 2009, 12:18 PM

They did 'em. Although honestly, I don't remember them

Nov 2, 2009, 12:24 PM

doing the CU Alma - but I doubt they would have skipped that...

Sorry - 32 years have erased some of the finer details.

Re: They did 'em. Although honestly, I don't remember them

Nov 2, 2009, 12:52 PM

Sounds great im in

I was THERE ! Man it was something !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Nov 2, 2009, 2:06 PM [ in reply to At the Silent Treatment for the '77 Notre Dame game, the ]

possibly worst idea since New Coke***

Nov 2, 2009, 12:56 PM

I'll bite...why?

Nov 2, 2009, 12:58 PM

If the young folks want to step up and create a night to rival our game vs. ND, what's wrong with that?

Re: I'll bite...why?

Nov 2, 2009, 1:02 PM

New coke earned coke billions.

Nov 2, 2009, 1:00 PM

This is another TERRIBLE idea.

Ugh, why can't we just SHOW UP AND WIN?

Again ... what's the problem?

Nov 2, 2009, 1:02 PM

It these kids want to do so, what makes it a terrible idea?

Re: Again ... what's the problem?

Nov 2, 2009, 1:07 PM

1. You MIGHT get the students involved, but that other than the few people who lurk TigerNet, there is no way you are going to convince 60,000 additional people to do a silent out. Look how it went at basketball last year.

2. The AD doesn't want this. You aren't going to get support from organizations like Central Spirit because if the AD says no, then CS' hands are tied.

3. There will be at least 10,000 FSU fans in the stands making as much noise as possible. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but 10,000 can still be loud as heck even when 70,000 are silent (which won't happen anyways).

4. Both ours and FSU's band will be playing the entire time, that will make a lot of noise.

5. Most importantly. WHAT IS THE POINT?! I know there is nothing more intimidating to me than silence! (sarcasm for the dim-witted). You want to be silent for an hour, just because when the cannon goes off it will sound cool? So an hour of silence for about 10 seconds of reward?

Stupid.

Cheerios must have that yellow substance in them***

Nov 2, 2009, 1:09 PM

Right . . .I think it can be done!

Nov 2, 2009, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Again ... what's the problem? ]

1) Clemson has done world's largest balloon launch, flash cards in the stadium, and in 77 did a silent treatment with out such communication devices as the internet!

2) TDP? Why? Explain? CS would do a good job like they did in the past!

3) So what. Let them cheer but they will be shocked when we turn the volume up for the rest of the game.

4) FSU's can play--ours can play silent just like in 77

5) It is unique. No one else would dare and it would intiminate the hell out of me to go from silence to a roar--just like an F-18 fighter passing overhead--the roar would last all game long. GO TIGERS!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Re: Right . . .I think it can be done!

Nov 2, 2009, 1:27 PM

So if it was done in 1977, what's unique about it.

How about this. If you manage to get this accomplished, I will never post here again. However, when you fail, you never post here again. Willing to take that bet?

Dude, its way more than 10 seconds of reward....

Nov 2, 2009, 1:29 PM

last time I checked a game lasts about 3 and a half hours.... Just stay loud the entire rest of the game.

No need to get so upset.***

Nov 2, 2009, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Right . . .I think it can be done! ]

I think once every 32 years is close enough to "unique".

Nov 2, 2009, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Right . . .I think it can be done! ]

CT is correct about 1 thing - I think FSUs band could mess up the effect a bit.

The effect on everyone in the stadium would last much more than 10 seconds. It was incredible at the Notre Dame game.

Also, in '77, the C-L-E-M-S-OOOOOO-N did not exist yet. I want to see the whole crowd silently going through that motion (somehow).

You see only what can't be done...

Nov 2, 2009, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Right . . .I think it can be done! ]

I see folks getting excited about an opportunity to do something that's a heckuva lot unique than the usual stuff.

I applaud them for initiative, and respectfully decline to cower before the obstacles they'd have to overcome.

Now, if you require trying to tromp on seedlings just so you can say "See? I TOLLD you nothing would grow here!" by all means live you life in such a self-defeating mindset.

Even if the idea didn't take root, there is no harm ... and a world of opportunity ... in trying.

And no, I personally don't care if you post or not. But I'm a little to set in my ways to wander off now.

Sit through one that works and you would completely

Nov 2, 2009, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Again ... what's the problem? ]

change your mind.

In basketball in the late '80's - number 1 tarholes against us in LJ. Newspapers on each chair. And at Tiger player introductions - the place erupted . . . made the noise seem THREE times as loud.

An incredible feeling I will never forget.

And it is different, it gets the players attention, it says

Nov 2, 2009, 1:32 PM

we are a group that is together behind the team.

Why wear all white in penn state ? Why release 9 billion orande ballonns and then go on to crush the turtles to win the ACC ?

You don't think 80k erupting at once would be an event that no one in attendance would EVER forget ?

RevDodd is a sensible lunatic and he can still call up the thoughts around that day from 32 years ago.

Sure - 10k semiholes are gonna make some noise . . . I get that part. But it will sound like a PIN DROP when the Tigers take to the top of The Hill.

Don't even boo the semiholes coming out . . . let them have their 2 minutes and then . . . HOLY CRAP - the world is caving in on them . . .

kkt gets it. I was in the stands 32 years ago as well, and

Nov 2, 2009, 2:02 PM

the Notre Dame game is easily my favorite game ever in Death Valley (and we lost!) So that says a lot.

Also, that game was the first time CLEMSON was spelled around the stadium.

YES Joey, It WAS electric....those gold domes

Nov 2, 2009, 2:17 PM

sparkling in the bright afternoon sun. Vagus Ferguson, Ross Browner, Joe Montanna.....they were heavy favorites.

We Had it won with Steve Fuller and co. but fumbled it away.

Beat them the next year at south Bend with Billy Lott.

those really were "the Days"

we won at Notre Dame though right?***

Nov 2, 2009, 2:22 PM

yep 1979 Clemson 16 Notre Dame 10***

Nov 2, 2009, 2:24 PM

Re: Again ... what's the problem?

Nov 2, 2009, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Again ... what's the problem? ]

1. The students would get involved, they sit in the rain all the time they can do this. If we can get IPTAY involved they will get the word out.

2. Who cares what the AD wants. I'm sure IPTAY would be ok with it.

3. I'm sure those 10,000 (if they bring that many, they had the lowest crowd in a long time at home last weekend) fans will be loud. But 75,000 will be even louder.

4. Thats good if the bands play. It's silent in the stands though.

5. Silence is ominous. The Fl. St. players will be sitting their wondering what we are doing, losing focus, then when the noise hits they won't know what to do. And it's an hour of silence for 3 hours of HELLRAISING NOISE!

GO TIGERS

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why is it a terrible idea?***

Nov 2, 2009, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Pre-game silent out--grass roots movement ]

Nov 2, 2009, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Pre-game silent out--grass roots movement ]

Carmel.....I didn't get to see it when Notre Dame came into town in 77. Id like to see it at some point. All you have to do is stand and shut your mouth. Its that easy.

I didn't get to see it either

Nov 2, 2009, 1:16 PM

I think it would be really neat. However, a negative nancy will always come around and try to "put things in perspective."

It would likely shatter the sound record

Nov 2, 2009, 1:24 PM

Imagine everyone yelling the hearts out all at one time. Everyone will have been holding it in and the zenith of noise all at one time.

In the process of contacting Central Spirit right now!******

Nov 2, 2009, 1:08 PM

I sent an email***

Nov 2, 2009, 1:11 PM

#1 Fan of Clemson Athletic Marketing Team

Re: I sent an email***

Nov 2, 2009, 1:13 PM

Sweet. Carmel of little faith seems to think whatever you do is pointless. Which it maybe, but its at least worth a shot.

I told about 10 people about the idea in Bio

Nov 2, 2009, 1:19 PM

8 thought it was great and they would tell others but 2 said it was a stupid idea.

Just sent a facebook message to the VP of Central Spirit,

Nov 2, 2009, 1:22 PM

I'll keep the thread updated on how the idea is recieved by that organization.

Nov 2, 2009, 1:27 PM

Just sent this to Pres & VP of Central Spirit ...

------------------------------

Hello PJ & Ben,
First I want to say that - We support you & Thank you for your hard work.

I saw On TNet where there was a grassroots request to do something special for the Nov 7,
FSU game. I urge you to consider organizing a “Silent Out” treatment reminiscent of the
1977 game when Notre Dame came into town.

We will all be there & think that this “Silent Out” would make a memorable statement for
prime time TV & for Tiger fans for generations to come.

We support you. Thank you for your hard work.

Nov 2, 2009, 1:37 PM

I sent an email as well to Central Spirit. Even if we don't win that entrance would be funny as hell. ESPN would be talking about this for a long time.

how was it organized in the past?

Nov 2, 2009, 1:55 PM

what must be done to make this actually work? I'm in as long as everyone else is...but hey if people are rowdy before the game then I will be too! ;)

Sounds awesome, only problem is the internet

Nov 2, 2009, 2:22 PM

In 77 they could have advertised in the paper, today one email gets it out & its on national news

Knowing about it and experienceing it are very different...

Nov 2, 2009, 2:28 PM

Sure the Nole fans and band may know why the crowd is quiet.

Sure the ESPN guys may say "It seems the Clemson crowd is trying the Silent Treatment."

That's sort of like the Yankees at Manassas Creek saying, "Well here come those Rebels with their dumb yell again."

Until it is experienced, there's no way to adequartely describe the chill down your back and ringing in your head that comes with it.

unfortuately, I and thosands of others never will get to

Nov 2, 2009, 3:58 PM

experience it because some are... well Im not sure what they have against it.

Nov 2, 2009, 2:25 PM

I'm all in. Just sent PJ a link to this thread. We'll see what CS does with it.

FSU fans should prepare for a in-game silent out...

Nov 2, 2009, 2:26 PM

in response to Clemson beating the living daylights out of them on the field Saturday.

Regardless if our pre-game silence or noise rattles them, their 10k or so fans that travel up for the game will have little to chear about... Game ON!

My only problem with this is-----------------------

Nov 2, 2009, 2:40 PM

We are giving FSU too much respect/credit . This thing means more when your team is a huge underdog.

The Tigers are favored by over a touchdown at home solets just take care of business.

OR have a lot of fun and plant some more awesome memories, I am good either way !

Replies: 75
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic