Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The last weekend: where things stand
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

The last weekend: where things stand

Mar 3, 2016, 9:31 AM

I'll admit, I was certainly hoping to be a little more excited about this final weekend. We're just playing for position now. No double bye, no Dance without an amazing run next week.

But, having taken the cross, let's drag it on home. Going into the last weekend, here's where we stand:

1. N. Carolina 13-4
(tie) Miami 13-4
3. Virginia 12-5
(tie) Louisville 12-5
5. Duke 11-6
6. Notre Dame 10-7
7. Clemson 9-8
(tie) Pittsburgh 9-8
(tie) Syracuse 9-8
(tie) Va. Tech 9-8

Clemson currently holds the tiebreaker for 7th (sixth seed). No one else can climb into the mess.

I hold faith that Clemson can defeat Boston College this weekend. It's a feat, by the way, that would still ties this year's team for the most Clemson wins in ACC competition.

If Clemson wins, we finish no worse than the 6th seed at 10-8. Pitt and Syracuse face decent last games (Pitt at GTech, which has been decent the past few weeks, and Cuse at up-and-down FSU.) VTech hosts Miami, a likely loss.

Above us, stumbling N. Dame hosts the Wuffies. Look for the Irish to win, especially with Duke facing UNC in Cameron. If the Irish want the last double-bye, they need the Heels to beat Duke. The teams would be tied at 11-7, and ND holds the tiebreaker.

If Clemson wins and ND loses, the Tigers will tie for the 5th seed. But, since the Irish hold the tiebreaker, the end result is the same.

Louisville-Virginia should be a heck of a game, but changes nothing in the standings.

So, assuming Clemson wins, VTech loses and Pitt and Syracuse hold on, the final ACC tourney seedings will look like this:

1. UNC (holds Miami tiebreaker)
2. Miami
3. Virginia (win or lose vs. L'ville)
4. ND (if they win)
5. Duke
6. Clemson
7. Pitt (holds Syracuse tiebreaker)
8. Syracuse
9. VTech

There's still a question about the last team to pick up a one-day bye: GTech and FSU are both at 7-10, facing equal foes Saturday. Let's give the nod to GTech, since they hold the tiebreaker

Day 1:

NC State vs. Wake Forest
FSU vs. Boston College

Day 2:

Syracuse vs. VTech
Duke vs. Wuffie-Deac winner
Pitt vs. GTech
Clemson vs. FSU-BC winner

Should Clemson win that game, we'd get Virginia on Friday. Likely, Miami waits in the wings after that.

If we get that far, we can openly dare to dream of Dancing again. Not until then.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great breakdown. Thanks**

Mar 3, 2016, 9:51 AM

nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only way we lose the 6 seed with a win is

Mar 3, 2016, 9:59 AM

if we end up tied with VPI (VPI win and Pitt, Cuse lose)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang, thats ture! POint for the observation!***

Mar 3, 2016, 11:21 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll be d@mned if we play FSU again.

Mar 3, 2016, 12:07 PM

I want no part of them.

As far as matchups go....

Mar 3, 2016, 4:39 PM

I think I'd rather see GT than FSU, although GT has been the hotter team lately. Although we collapsed on the road there, we certainly should have won that one. FSU has been a mess lately, but they have talent and seem to be a tournament nemesis.

Miami or UVA? Not sure there. We did beat Miami, but so far we have lost the second game anytime there has been a rematch.
Can UVA beat us 3 times in a row?

I will say this, if we managed to survive the first 2 games, there is a chance that others like Pitt, Syracuse, or VT that could be awaiting us instead of a top seed on day 3. Such is the nature of tournaments.

But I think Brownell needs a win on day one. At least a glimmer of hope for weary souls such as ours.

I really hope UNC and Duke find themselves the

Mar 3, 2016, 4:46 PM

1 and 4 seeds.... opposite the bracket from us...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well done again! thx, rev!***

Mar 3, 2016, 5:55 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Where things stand in the Grand Scheme...

Mar 4, 2016, 11:44 AM

Rev, your analysis of the position we are in is spot on, but a piece of cake compared to your weekly Sermons during Football Season.

Thanks for all you do for TNet.

Re: The last weekend: where things stand

Mar 4, 2016, 6:15 PM

We can only be the 6 or the 7 seed. No higher, no lower.

The difference between those two, however, is huge. If we're the 6, we play a team that just had to play the day before. If we're the 7, we play a team starting the tournament like us.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic